Single bottle shipping anywhere in the UK for £4.95 (on bottles over £14.95 excluding magnums)
0item(s)£0.00

No products in the cart.

Product was successfully added to your shopping cart.
Low Sulphite Vegan
Il Frappato Arianna Occhipinti - Buon Vino Natural Wines
Please note: The image may not show the actual vintage available. Please check the product details for the actual vintage.

Il Frappato Arianna Occhipinti 2016

Be the first to review this product

Availability: 3 In stock

£32.00

Additional Information

One Line Description Il Frappato Arianna Occhipinti, biodynamic wine, intense red from Sicily, 100% Frappato, lingering and complex yet very elegant.
Production Method Natural, Organic, Biodynamic
Country Italy Italian
Region Sicily, Italy
Producer Arianna Occhipinti
Vintage 2016
Wine Type Red Wine
Wine Style Full bodied
Grape Blend 100% Frappato
Alcohol 14% abv
Terroir Medium density, red sands and chalk from sub apennine limestone rocks
Maturation 14 months in Slavonian Oak Barrels, 1 month in bottle
Ageing Potential Lovely in youth but would develop nicely over 5 years
Production Detail Biodynamic, low sulphur, 70% of the Frappato is macerated for two months on its skins, while the other 30% stays on its skins for eight months
Natural Features Low Sulphite (Sulphur), Vegan
Description

Details

Il Frappato Arianna Occhipinti, biodynamic wine, intense red from Sicily, 100% Frappato, lingering and complex yet very elegant. Long known as a blending grape, Frappato, in the hands of Arianna Occhipinti, is an extraordinary wine. Light in colour yet remarkable in complexity with notes of cherry, raspberry and white pepper, this wine shows the cool climate characteristics that can be found in Sicily. 70% of the Frappato is macerated for two months on its skins, while the other 30% stays on its skins for eight months. The fluidity, the ever changing character of this wine is truly remarkable. Every time you think you have it pinned down, it throws something else at you. Here you are smelling cherries, and in come the figs, the raisins, before a whiff of fresh-cooked strawberries runs by. Pepper? Or is that smoke? Or maybe dried leaves. Or… no, maybe more blood orange. And then there’s that floral character. A little volatile acidity is there, but it gets completely swallowed up by the swirl of aromas that keeps dancing around in the glass. An outstanding glass of wine which will keep you reaching for the bottle.

Arianna Occhipinti is the niece of COS winemaker Guisto Occhipinti, so has winemaking in her blood. Her estate lies near to Vittoria, just off the SP68 road which lends its name to some of her wines. Guided by her uncle, she's been making wine here for well over ten years now. All the vineyards are worked using biodynamic principals and she takes a non-interventionalist approach in the cellar, allowing the wine to find its own space. Only natural yeasts are used, no temperature control, no fining or filtration and minimal SO2 at bottling. Many would say Arianna is now rivalling her Uncle for quality and certainly her wines are excellent. She works with Nero d'Avola, Frappato, Zibbibo, as well as some other local varieties.

Reviews
  1. Be the first to review this product

Add a review

How good is this wine?