Since ancient times, the region of Pella in the Peloponnese, situated in northern Greece, was associated with wine making and described as the mother of wine, where vines abound.
Jason Ligas and his Sister Meli continued the work of their Father Thomas and set about turning the normally dull Roditis grape into something very special. By converting to natural farming in the 80s after following the ideas set out by a renowned Japanese Masanobu Fukuoka (1913-2008) whose approach to agriculture was called, ‘do nothing'. Fukuoka – whose philosophy has been described as ‘Steiner without cow horns’ – was a Japanese researcher in plant pathology who subsequently became an experimental farmer and promoter of natural farming. At Ligas by reducing the yield he was able to express the terroir and show the potential of their indigenous grapes that are normally over cropped and used for cheap jug wine. The soils are loamy, sand with very good drainage and the natural environment is expressed in his stunningly fresh and complex white wines. The reds are pretty rare and only made in good years but are also wines to be savoured. The wines all carry a unique personality and expressive aroma which we have come to call 'The Ligas Nose!'
- IGP Macedonie Assyrtiko Maison Ligas 2019 (Orange Wine)25.00
- IGP Pella Roditis Maison Viticole Ktima Ligas 202026.00
- Vin de Grece Xi-Ro Ktima Ligas (Xiro) 201826.00
- Lamda Vin de Grece Ktima Ligas 2019 (Orange Wine)26.00
- Vin de Grece Le Rose Ktima Ligas 201926.00
- Vin de Grece Pata Trava Ktima Ligas 201926.00
- Roditis Barrique IGP Macedoine Ktima Ligas 201939.00
- Bucephale Xinomavro Ktima Ligas 201741.00
- Spira Xinomavro Solera Ktima Ligas 2012-2019 Soleras41.00
- Roditis Maceration Ktima Ligas 2018 (Orange Wine)42.00
- IGP Macedoine Gaia Pella Amphora Ktima Ligas 2018 (Orange Wine)48.00