Lambrusco Rosso Seco Lambroosklyn Koi 2021, natural Lambrusco, no added sulphites, dry, red, fruity, soft tannins on the palate, extreme drinkability, served chilled and quaff. Discovered in a fantastic bar in Padova when several glasses were drank far too quickly. Lambrusco Seco is a dry, frothy red wine. The Grasparossa variety has quite astringent tannins and can make this wine overly dry. However, Flavio Restani, owner and wine make at Koi has 60 year old organic vines which produce very low yields and of grapes with ripe tannins. he also does a much shorter maceration of 2.5-3 days to again avoid too much dry tannin in the wine. The result is the most delicious, fruit driven Lambrusco ever tasted.
How is it made? Well dry Lambrusco like this one ferments all the sugar so it finishes with about 12 degrees of alcohol and is totally dry. The other crucial element of production is how they get the fizz. Traditional Lambrusco captures the CO2 produced during fermentation in the wine which gives the bubbles. Typically, this was done using the ‘Ancestrale’ method whereby the fermentation starts in a vat and then the wine is added to the bottle during the ferment where it finishes and the gas is captured. Flavio does it slightly differently as he feels he can produce a more elegant and less tannic wine this way. He separates 10% of the unfermented must after the first pressing of the grapes. The 10% is chilled over the winter and doesn’t ferment. The remaining 90% is macerated for only about 3 or 4 days and gently pressed, the juice continues to ferment in vats until the sugar is used up. In the Spring, both fermented wine and unfermented juice (with wild yeast and sugar in it of course) are added to the bottle where a short refermentation takes place to produce the natural gas et voila! Natural, delicate dry Lambrusco Rosso.
Is Lambrusco Rosso Seco the next Prosecco? We like to think so. Prosecco becomes pretty dull after a few glasses, even the much better Col Fondo styles. Lambrusco however evolves in bottle, has layers of crunchy red fruits, forest floor and complexity on nose and palate. It is also crucially dry and red so with any Charcuterie, mature Italian cheeses like Pecorino and even roast meats or Rago, this wine is superb. It is also pretty good with robust fish dishes, red curries and much more. Lambrusco is possibly one of the most versatile wines out there. So give it a try, serve chilled in summer, room temp (but not warm) in winter and drink in all situations. The next Prosecco, no…. it is something else altogether and something better.
Please note, chill bottle well, open gently over sink, have a glass ready…natural yeast is lively! We wouldn’t want you to waste any.
|Natural Lambrusco - Agrikoi - Flavio Restani
|6 months in bottle
|Below 50 mg/litre
|10 - 20,000 bottles
|Anything and Everything, Charcuterie, Hard Cheese, Red Meat